Wednesday, May 14, 2008

UPDATES ON THE MORAL TRAVESTY UNFOLDING IN IOWA

GO FATHER JOSE!! GO MARIO!!

Detainess go to court in a ballroom

Town of 2,273 wonders: What happens to us now?

AWESOME RESPONSE TO RAID BY THOMAS KESSLER OF THE PEACE AND JUSTICE CENTER OF THE CEDAR VALLEY

Friends -

Monday evening many of our friends and neighbors in the Cedar Valley gathered outside the National Cattle Congress to protest the immigration raid that took place in Postville Monday morning. I wanted to share with you a bit about that event - and encourage you to take any opportunity you have in coming days to stand and act in solidarity with our neighbors who were the targets of the immigration raids.

I drove over to the NCC shortly after 8:30 p.m. It took a long time to find a parking as the NCC grounds were closed and the Waterloo Police had blocked off the available parking immediately across the street. When I drove up an officer approached me and asked if I was arriving to work in the grounds, and when I indicated that I was there to join the demonstrators he said that that parking area was private property and thus not open for public parking. As there is really no area of public parking adjacent to the NCC, I ended up parking a half mile or so away over the highway back toward Cedar Falls and walking to the NCC.

The NCC was essentially an armed fortress - with a large number of armed ICE (US Immigration and Customs Enforcement) officers - some in riot gear. The Waterloo Police were also out in force outside the NCC for crowd control and (at least in my case) to deny easy access to parking. The demonstrators were entirely peaceful and orderly - there was really no need for the size of the police force that was present - three or four officers could have easily monitored the situation and ensured traffic flow and safety.

Given the difficulty of finding parking I thought there was a good cross section of our local community. The crowd ranged in age from infants to people I'd guess were in their 80's. And while the majority of the crowd appeared to be members of the local Latino community, there was a good representation of others of us from around the Cedar Valley. When I first arrived there was a group 3 or 4 of what I interpreted to be counter demonstrators outside the bar down and across the street - although I could have been misinterpreting their purpose/intent as I did not actually talk with them.

As I said, the crowd was entirely peaceful. There were many candles, occasional chants, and cheers as many of the vehicles driving by indicated their support by honking. (The occupants of many of the vehicles indicated their support for the demonstrators - and I did not see any react negatively while I was there.) I joined in with my hand held drum in an attempt to add to the rhythm of the chants. At one point a young woman said her father would like to borrow the drum for a while, and he used it as he walked through the crowds. In retrospect, I wish I had thought to offer some of the children an opportunity to use it.

About 9:00 or so two buses arrived with those arrested and the crowd shouted their support and encouragement to those inside the buses. From what I gathered by asking around there had been a total of 6 buses that had arrived. That would seem to be pretty accurate given the buses I saw already in the NCC grounds as I arrived. At least two large trucks also arrived, I assume bringing in supplies.

The demonstration broke up at 10:00. I had hoped it would continue until at least 10:30 in order to be on live reports on the 10:00 newscasts as the local/regional television stations had crews present across the street. Walking back to my car my thoughts were with our neighbors who were detained behind the fences and armed guards - and all the children who have been abruptly separated from their parents and are undoubtedly confused and frightened tonight. May our prayers be with them ...

I hope you will watch for opportunities in the coming days to stand and act in solidarity with our neighbors whose lives have been wrenched apart by this action by our government. If there are more demonstrations at the NCC I encourage you to attend. I'd suggest having a driver that could drop off individuals/groups at the NCC entrance as I'm sure the police will continue to limit access to nearby parking. And if the parking logistics prove too difficult, you can show your support by driving by and honking ... or even better make several passes by as one trucker in his 18 wheeler appeared to be doing.

I regret that I am leaving town Tuesday and will not be here in the community for the next few days as this sad process continues. I will send out one more email tomorrow morning with some additional information I've received about upcoming actions as well as with a couple of other suggestions. But tonight it is getting late and I need to get to bed. Please do keep our neighbors in your prayers.

Shalom,
Thomas Kessler, Coordinator
Peace & Justice Center of the Cedar Valley
A ministry of Cedar Falls Mennonite Church
215 W. 9th Street (Corner of 9th & Clay Streets)
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613

No comments: